Pages

Tuesday 14 April 2009

Nettle Gnocchi


nettle gnocchi


Ok, so I have become a little obsessed now with nettles. Let's see just how many dishes I can create with nettles! This particular dish is a variation on Fergus the Forager's nettle gnocchi... a particularly lazy one where I replaced the tomato and basil sauce with a shop bought pesto. But it was delish.

I just realised that I had forgotten to explain just what nettles taste like in the last post. So I am going to correct that anomaly. You definitely have a spinach type greenness but the surprise taste is mushrooms... yes, I know... I was bowled away. This is what makes this wild green particularly useful. You can add that umami (savoury) taste quality now to various dishes without adding mushrooms or cheese.. or have double or triple umami. Now I don't actually know if the nettles actually contain the right chemicals that make up that umami taste that you find in cheese, mushrooms and meat but I would like to think that they do.


Now what shall I do next with the nettles?



Picking the nettles. Make sure you pick the young leaves. They are the best.


Mixing up the nettles, flour and potato to make the gnocchi


The gnocchi before they hit the boiling water.

No comments: