Pages

Thursday 23 April 2009

Asparagus and Egg



Not the most inspiring of dishes, I know, but it does make for a no nonsense supper dish. I had tried to make a hollandaise sauce but failed - it tasted vile... so I thought well why not just have an egg. Now that the English asparagus season is upon us I can now have asparagus everyday if I chose (and I probably would). I adore asparagus and it's delicate taste, it's succulence, it's taste of spring and for a month or so I can revel in asparagus heaven. Asparagus with pasta, asparagus risotto, asparagus with hollandaise sauce (yes, I will perfect it), asparagus with cous cous, asparagus in a Thai green curry, asparagus soup, asparagus forest (blanched asparagus and an edible soil of some sort?), and of course asparagus on it's own - yummy.

Now to the recipe...

Serves 2 for a cosy supper dish

12 spears of asparagus (depending on how much you enjoy asparagus)
2 eggs (I used chicken eggs but this would go well with quails eggs as well)
Small grating of Parmesan cheese
Smear of oil
Seasoning

  1. Blanche your asparagus spears in a pan of rolling boiling water. Takes about 5 minutes.
  2. In a non-stick pan heat a little oil - not too much and crack your egg/s into the pan. Cook on a low to medium heat... I wanted the whites of the eggs to cook through but leave a lovely runny egg yolk. Cooking time was around 4-5 minutes I think. Sorry, I must pay attention to times when I cook.
  3. Arrange cooked spears attractively on the plate (or just pile them up) and chuck the egg on top. Season and grate some Parmesan cheese over using a fine grate.

No comments: