Pages

Monday 12 January 2009

Smoked Eel



I think many people would turn their noses up at eel.... I know the majority of my family did. But really you are all losing out. Eel used to be the standard fayre for the people of Somerset and I dare say probably a few other low-lying areas of Britain for centuries but it has sadly fallen out of favour... and I wonder why. I know that smoked it is divine! Comparable to smoked trout any day.

Now I visited a local smokery to acquire some of this wondrous produce - Brown and Forrest - you can order online if you so wish. They smoke practically anything - salmon, kippers, pork, cheese and of course the local eel. And they are all available to try out in their restaurant at lunch times. I naturally tried it out and relished the great smoked eel on rye bread with horseradish. Great combination.

But if you like something a little more interesting try smoked eel with kiwi fruit. I was surprised.... but there is something about the almost milky smoked eel combining with the crisp fruitiness of the kiwi fruit that happily marries in your mouth. Add the hot horseradish and you are in for a treat.

No comments: