Pages

Thursday 29 January 2009

Molecular gastronomy

Recently I came across this blog all about molecular gastronomy.... now I have been interested in this for some time.... with chefs such as Ferran Adria and Heston Blumenthal acting as explorers in this strange new world. I look at the books, watch the videos and find the few recipes out there and yet still I know I will struggle to reproduce anything that remotely looks like molecular gastronomy. I admire the use of science, the experimentation, the sheer inventiveness - but frankly it is beyond us mortals.

Though watching some clips from Ferran Adria's El Bulli I am heartened to at least understand some of the techniques.... in fact I think I could incorporate them into a dish I am concocting.... a sort of variation on salt cod and chickpeas mixed with a pasta dish I know with chickpeas, tomato puree and rosemary.... I was thinking chickpea soil, tomato caviar with salt cod consume and of course a sprig of rosemary to smell whilst you eat the wonderful array. You know if I try this I will post it on this blog... but then I have been thinking about this for some time - you might have to wait some time.


Why does Ferran Adria take a perfectly good olive, reduce it to a puree, make into spheres and serve? Because you gain a new experience - liquid olives. You cannot help but be delighted, enthused, inspired and whatever other adjective you can think of. I know you are playing with the food... taking it, re-arranging, re-forming, re-packaging to bring something new. That is the joy.

Checkout this great blog - Khymos

No comments: