Pages

Sunday 14 February 2010

Kohlrabi Salad


This is a new favourite vegetable for me now. I am sorry to say that I had never before tasted kohlrabi but from now on I will definitely be utilizing this wonderful vegetable. And what does it taste of - a glorious mixture of turnip (yes, I am one of those strange people who adores turnip but only raw!) and spring greens. It is fresh and vibrant and is a wonderful accompaniment to most dishes.

This recipe is a sneaky re-make on Riverford Organic Vegetables recipe. Instead of peanuts I use pistachios (just happened to have them in my cupboard) and I eliminated the apple and carrots though I think it would be wonderful with those elements. But I just wanted to keep it simple and in the true Nigel Slater style just use up what was in my cupboard.

As you can see I put this salad with some bream fillets, potato cake and a green salad (I know the green salad is not seasonal but sometimes you do succumb to the limitless supply of unseasonal vegetables) . A fresh tasting dish great for the middle of winter.

No comments: