Pages

Sunday 14 February 2010

Beetroort Mousse with Orange and Fennel Scented Yoghurt


I have been cooking out of books and magazines lately because I feel I must freshen up my range of dishes. This is one of those dishes that looks absolutely devine but ultimately it is not the best tasting of foods. Now I like beetroot but I always seem to cook beetroot soup so I thought i would try this mousse from Denis Cotter's The Cafe Paradiso Cookbook (p.66).

It was an immensely rich dish of cream and cream cheese and eggs that maybe tipped the balance for me - it was just too flavourful. I find beetroot quite rich anyway and all this cream just detracted from the overall taste. But the yoghurt sauce was a revelation - lightly toasted fennel seeds and orange rind and juice just sent the sauce into the scented strastosphere. Wonderfully aromatic. Hmm.... maybe I will just use it in another dish.


Hunting for a comparable recipe I saw this ravishing recipe from Luccullian delights that blew my dish out of the water. I am now feeling very dejected when faced with such culinary skill. "I'm not worthy!"

No comments: