Pages

Monday 29 June 2009

Hummus



You don't know how much I love chickpeas.

I love them so much!

If I could have them everyday I would be in heaven. I am already known to my friend's mother as the chickpea queen. Don't ask me why to me they are the bees knees. It could be their filling nature, or the slightly nutty, beany taste, or just that you can do so much with them. They are a snack, a meal, an aphrodisiac (but only for males apparently); they are so versatile.

I was a bit shocked that I hadn't put on many recipes for chickpeas on the blog..... WHAT WAS I THINKING! So, to quickly remedy this remiss here is my super quick hummus recipe. There are probably lots of better recipes and really it is all up to your personal taste as to the exact quantities... this is a rough recipe. Please experiment to get it just the way you like it.

And you cannot go wrong if you visit the marvellous site The Hummus Blog. Some great insights into why homemade hummus is best.

Serves ??? (alot of servings)

3 cloves of garlic chopped
400g of cooked chickpeas
2 tsp tahini (heaped)
100 ml olive oil (this is a rough estimate)
Seasoning
Cumin (2 tsp of ground)

  1. Place the garlic, chickpeas, tahini and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Keep some chickpeas back to use later.
  2. Whizz up until all the ingredients have been reduce to a paste. Add more olive oil and/or cooking liquid if the mixture is too thick.
  3. Fry the ground cumin in a little olive oil and add the reserved chickpeas. Cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Place the hummus into a suitable bowl or tub.... it won't stay there long.
  5. Top with the fried chickpeas.
  6. Serve with pitta bread and a green salad for a perfect supper dish.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why not an aphrodisiac for you?

Unknown said...

Thanx for allowing comments.