Pages

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Real Food Festival @ Festival Hall

This is really old bit of news but i just want to shout about how good this festival was and how great the food was on to offer. Round the back of the Royal Festival Hall in London my friend and I happened across this event.  Fantastic. Food from all round the world all congregating outside one of London's most famous monuments. This is a regular event now and is a great haven of  the food truck... You can find out more about the Real Food Festival at http://www.realfoodfestival.co.uk/.

I just want to highlight two places that I tried and loved; the wonderful fish tacos of Luardo's in their playful pink van and some exquisite oysters from Squid and Pear.
First off the tacos...well I have been hearing all about the famous taco trucks LA and I was thrilled to find the genuine article on the streets of London. And when I talk about tacos I don't mean the hard versions you get in the supermarkets that you heat up in the oven. No, I mean the gorgeous soft tortilla wrapping itself around a divine filling.

This is a little bit of Californian Mexican heaven in London - plus they use sustainable fish as well - coley.  So you have this divine tortilla wrapped around some unctuous coley and topped with gaucamole, cabbage strips and a spicy salsa sprinkled liberally with lime...

Apparently Luardo's can be found at King’s Cross with eat.st every Friday in May, Saturdays at Brockley Market and Mon-Fri at Whitecross St in the other van.

This is something that I will definitely be trying at home!




Now, if that wasn't enough to try I thought I would partake in a little oyster tasting.  I couldn't pass up Squid and Pear's modern take on oysters by serving them with a little cucumber caviar and some foraged sea vegetables. A perfect hit of the sea balanced with some cooling cucumber.

So this is another take home the idea and re-create! Of course my trusted internet turns up trumps by providing a great recipe for oysters with cucumber caviar and bloody mary granita - http://www.reonhobson.com/oysterswithcucumbercaviar.htm. Now where can I get the algin?

No comments: