Thursday, 1 July 2010
Palestinian Lentil Soup
I came across this recipe whilst down the Green Scythe Fair and was determined to try it; a wonderful array of sharp and earthy notes. Filling, and healthy.
1/2 mug of red lentils
Onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 tbsp cumin
1/2 tsp of ground coriander seeds
1/4 tsp ground tumeric
Pinch of cinnamon
Water so soup does not run dry
1/2 mug of basmati rice
Juice of lemon
Chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Fry the onion until slightly golden and then add the garlic.
2. Add the spices - the coriander and cumin seeds, and cinnamon.
3. Fry the spices to intensify the flavours and then add the lentil and enough water to make into a soup.
4. Cook for about 15 minutes and then add the basmatic rice.
5. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Combine the juiced lemon, parsley and olive oil and mix throughly. You can do this in an old jam jar.
7. Serve the soup by ladling it out and stirring in some of the lemon/parsley/olive oil mixture.