Pages

Wednesday 17 July 2024

Pkhali

 I have been inspired by the travels of Carrie Patsalis on Youtube; in particular her trip to Georgia. She tried a dish with spinach and walnuts in Tbilisi that I just had to try and replicate (go to 6.20 into the video to see the dish). So searching around I found out the dish was called Pkhali and was completely vegan... just had to try that.

Pkhali

I used this recipe from Oh My Veggies .  Basically you blanch spinach, squeeze the water out and then blend it with onion, garlic, coriander, chillies, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, cumin, salt and walnuts.  There was supposed to be oregano in there as well but I did not have any.  You shape it into these flattened balls and make a depression in the top and garnish with some pomegranate seeds.  

So you have this amazingly fresh flavour that you can eat as an appetizer or spread on a cracker or flatbread.  

Apparently you can make this with carrots, aubergine, beetroot, cabbage or pretty much any leftover vegetable. So I will be experimenting in the future. 


I want to try this with Tkemali which is a plum sauce that is a sweet-sour condiment.... just need to source some tart plums or gages.

No comments: