Pages

Wednesday 17 July 2024

Akub

 

Menu of Akub



This is a catch up post of a restaurant I visited last August 2023.  Huddled in a back street in Notting Hill, the Palestian restaurant Akub provided a much needed inspiration boost to my culinary brain.  Akub is chef Fadi Kattan's venture in London; mixing his Palestinian heritage with a French backbone to produce modern Palestinian food. This is one of my favourite cuisines and Akub did not disappoint... each little plate was a treasure of flavours.

From top left clockwise - Sheikh El Mahsi, pitta, Mafghoussa,  Red Lentil Moutabel

The Sheikh El Mahsi was perhaps my least favourite of the dishes... the pickled vegetables were perhaps a little too pickled but still quite delicious.


Sheikh El Mahsi - baby aubergine, pickled herbs and walnuts

The Mafghoussa was deliciously moreish and quite rich but then cut through with the fresh mint... love it.

Mafghoussa - courgettes, garlic, yoghurt, pine nuts and mint

The Red Lentil Moutabel was a great alternative to hummus; amazing with the fresh pittas on the side.

Red Lentil Moutabel - red lentils, tahini, cumin

Pitta bread

Now for the Batikh which was the outstanding dish for me.  Amazing mix of watermelon, fakous (heirloom melon that is treated like a cucumber), olives and almonds.   I thought I detected something like rosewater or orange blossom as well but could not be sure.  I have since riffed on the dish and produced my own versions in the attempt in replicating this dish... this was stunning.

Batikh - watermelon, fakous, black olives, marjaram,mint and almonds


I have to comment on the pottery that was used by the restaurant; all hand made by Jaffa ceramicist Nur Minawi and available on the website - https://www.akub-restaurant.com/shop . I particularly loved the asymmetrical plates with their irregular design.  Totally inspirational for my nerdy pottery mind.


No comments: