Pages

Monday 27 July 2009

Honey Cake and Whortleberry Compote


After a recent visit to Hugh Fernly-Whittingstall's River Cottage Canteen in Axminster where we had the most devine honey cake with blackcurrant compote I thought I would make a local version with whortleberries (see my post on whortleberry jam). I make no claim to the honey cake - find the recipe on-line at the Guardian. It's a great recipe and well worth trying. It is moist and syrupy.... and the ground almonds add the right amount of granuality. I found some great local honey in order to try this dish.
To make the compote: Take your left over whortleberries and tip into a saucepan. Add 3 or 4 tablespoons of sugar and cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately or just place in a jar and keep for those unexpected breakfasts.




No comments: